Heavensward (considered version 3.0 of the game) is the first expansion for Final Fantasy XIV released in June 23, 2015 for PC, Mac, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 with early access started on June 19th.
Owing to schemes in the shadows of Ul'dah, the Scions of the Seventh Dawn have been scattered, and the Warrior of Light has been forced to flee North.
Through granted shelter by Lord Haurchefant, our heroes must press on to Ishgard. But what trials await in this reclusive nation, locked in a never-ending struggle with dragons?
Come what may, they must not falter, lest the light of hope be forever extinguished.
- 3 new Jobs: Dark Knight (Tank), Astrologian (Healer), and Machinist (DPS).
- New playable race, Au Ra.
- Level cap increased from 50 to 60 (including all crafting and gathering classes).
- New 8-player Raid, Alexander (normal and savage modes).
- Takes place in a new region called Ishgard.
- Story revolves around The Dragonsong War and Nidhogg versus Thordan and his Knights Twelve.
- The First Brood, the 7 offspring of Midgardsormr, are central to the story. Dragons are Hraesvelgr, Bahamut, Tiamat and more. Bahamut's story about how he was summoned and captured will also be revealed.
- The Dragonsong War - The bloody thousand-year conflict between Ishgard and Dravania.
- 4th City-State, The Holy See of Ishgard. Zones include Ishgard: Foundation and Ishgard: The Pillars.
- 9 new massive locations, 8 new dungeons (initially) and raids
- New areas include Coerthas Western Highlands, Dravanian Forelands, Dravanian Hinterlands, The Churning Mists, The Sea of Clouds, Floating Continent, and Idyllshire.
- New Primals including Bismarck and Ravana
- The Vanu Vanu Beastmen that worships Bismarck
- The Gnath Beastmen that worships Ravana
- New gear and recipes
- Crafting classes are getting Specialist System, Collectable System, Scrips and other new mechanics.
- Gathering classes are getting Regional Folklore, Favor System, Delivery System, Scrips and other new mechanics.
- Free Company Workshops, including the construction of Airships and Houses by Free Companies
- Flying Mounts, about 7 different ones, starting from Black Chocobo, Single-Rider Airship, Dragon and Griffin Mount.
The theme song for Heavensward is called Dragonsong and it is composed by Nobuo Uematsu and features vocals by Susan Calloway.