The Striking Tree (Extreme)
- This article is about the level 50 challenge-mode trial. For the story-mode Main Scenario trial, see The Striking Tree (Hard).
The Striking Tree (Extreme)
- 50 (Sync: 50)
- Item Level
- Party size
- Full Party
8 man • 2 2 4
- Time limit
- 60 minutes
- Duty Finder
- High-end Trials (A Realm Reborn)
- Req. quest
- Judgment Bolts and Lightning
- East Shroud (X:25.3, Y:17.0)
- The Striking Tree
- The Black Shroud
- The Echo
- On wipe: +5% (max +25%)
Satisfied that the Warriors of Light have passed his trial, the primal Ramuh departs Eorzea for the aetherial sea. His sylphic thralls, however, unconvinced that their territory is truly safe, have focused their deep-rooted fear and spite into summoning their god anew. Can you rise to the challenge and prove your might once again? Crackling with the vengeful energies of his children's prayers, the Lord of Levin's judgment promises to be harsh indeed...
— In-game description
The Striking Tree (Extreme) is a level 50 trial introduced in patch 2.3.
Phases and Abilities
Lord of Levin: Ramuh
- Chaotic Strike: Will target two random players that are not top enmity with an orange crosshair and then inflict Chaos on them after a short cast time. When the debuff expires after 6 seconds, it will turn into Seduced They will walk slowly toward Ramuh then be killed by the melee AoE (Area of Effect) Thunderspark by Ramuh if Chaos/Seduced is not broken by Thunderstorm. Player with the Thunderstorm needs to move to the feared players.
- Thunderspark: AoE centered on Ramuh. Standing at max melee range allows you to dodge it. Will kill Chaotic Strike targets.
- Thunderstorm: Random players and patches of ground will be marked with an AoE. Deals moderate damage and breaks Chaotic Strike. The water on the arena will also electrify and deal damage (Conductivity) to anyone standing it, so players should move to the circular region of higher ground near Ramuh. Ground Thunderstorms will leave behind Lightning Orbs.
- Lightning Orbs: The more orbs on the ground, the higher the damage of Ramuh's abilities. Touching an orb gives a stacking buff called Electroconductivity, with 3 stacks changing into a buff called Surge Protection for 55 seconds, lowering damage taken from Shock Strike and preventing/cancelling Rolling Thunder. Touching orbs when this buff is active will result in a stack of the Static Condensation debuff, reducing healing magic effectiveness. The orbs and Thunderstorm circles leave a stacking buff (Electroconductivity) on anyone hit. The water in the arena will also electrify after Thunderstorm, dealing more damage if stood in.
- Shock Strike: Untelegraphed AoE tankbuster on the highest enmity player. Will deal lethal damage unless the target has Surge Protection. Note that this will bypass tank invulnerabilities.
- Grey Arbiters: Six Grey Arbiter adds will appear around the arena. Players should immediately switch to them, halting DPS on the boss. They shoot lightning beams at random players, which are less obvious line AoEs that can be dodged by sidestepping. Must be killed before Judgment Bolt. They will also periodically use Increased Sentence on Ramuh, reducing the amount of time left until he casts Judgment Bolt.
- Judgment Bolt: Ramuh's Ultimate. Wipes the group if any Arbiters are alive. Deals moderate damage otherwise.
- Rolling Thunder: Tethers 2 players together, inflicting Causality and Thunderclap. Every action used inflicts damage to the player, with casts causing them to take continuous damage. If the tether is not removed, Thunderclap will continue to stack and deal increased damage-over-time. One of the tethered players must touch 3 Lightning Orbs to get the Surge Protection buff and cancel the tether, allowing both players to continue.
Phase 1: 100% - 64%
Thunderstorm and Chaos Strike
At 64%, adds spawn. Ramuh will need to be rotated to face away from the group as adds are killed. Thunderstorm and Chaos Strike persist.
Phase 2: 64% - 0%
Introduces tether mechanic. Thunderstorm frequency increases. At 29%, untargetable adds spawn that just deal a little extra damage.
At around 11 minutes into the fight, Ramuh will cast Judgment Bolt again as an enrage, which will wipe the party.
This fight is one of the most difficult extreme trials in A Realm Reborn due to the high degree of coordination required, especially between the two tanks.
Before pulling, it is recommended to place a waymark south of center on the arena (not in the water). This will indicate where players targeted by Chaotic Strike (orange crosshairs) will go to.
Determine beforehand who will main tank and who will off tank to start the battle. Upon engaging the boss, it will use Thunderstorm, requiring the party to avoid overlapping their AoEs to prevent excessive damage, while staying out of the electrified water. This will also spawn several Lightning Orbs across the arena. The off tank will immediately pick up three orbs to get Surge Protection and then Provoke the boss to tank swap. Ramuh will use Shock Strike, an untelegraphed AoE tankbuster, that will instantly kill anyone unless if they have Surge Protection. The highest enmity target must have this buff and be spread out from others. When the debuff is about to expire, the other tank should collect 3 orbs and provoke the boss. Tanks will swap like this for the duration of the fight. Because Thunderstorm is used frequently, the current off tank should collect 3 orbs and tank swap whenever new orbs spawn. This will ensure one tank has Surge Protection up at all times while managing the number of orbs on the arena, because these also increase Ramuh's damage. Note that collecting orbs with Surge Protection active will instead grant one stack of a debuff called Static Condensation, reducing healing received and dealing damage over time, although this will still protect from Shock Strike.
The rest of the party will handle Chaotic Strike, which will target 2 random party members who are not top enmity. Players who are marked with an orange crosshair should go to the waymark, which will allow others to easily identify them and free them from Chaos by hitting them with a player-targeted Thunderstorm AoE. Players who are not freed in time will become Seduced and walk towards Ramuh, who will instantly kill them with Thunderspark. Players should be careful not to overlap two or more AoEs on the trapped players, as the excess damage could be lethal. It is possible for the current off tank to be targeted with Chaotic Strike, so it is critical to free them immediately.
Six Grey Arbiters will spawn on the edge of the arena. This will need to be killed in time, or the party will wipe to Judgment Bolt. The party should start with the south add and kill them in a clockwise order, while dodging the line AoEs they use. The main tank should take note of the party's position and move to avoid hitting anyone with Shock Strike. During this phase, Ramuh will still use Thunderstorm and Chaotic Strike, which should be handled as before. Thunderstorm will be used fairly frequently and will deal more damage the more orbs there are, so it may be beneficial for a non-tank to clear some (but not too many) orbs to reduce damage from Thunderstorm.
Two players will be tethered and be inflicted with Causality and Thunderclap, dealing damage upon using actions, and stacking damage-over-time, respectively. One player must collect 3 orbs and gain Surge Protection to break the tether and remove the debuffs. They should be careful not to collect too many orbs so enough will still remain for the tanks.
The mechanics from the first phase will cycle from this point onwards, with an increased Thunderstorm frequency, making orb management trickier.
Solo strategy (level 70+)
With a high player level (70+) and high-end gear (item level 400+), The Striking Tree (Extreme) can be finished solo or with a small party. To do so, enter the trial unsynced by selecting "Unrestricted Party" in the Duty Finder options.
With sufficient defenses, healing and damage, the fight's mechanics can be largely ignored, and all damage focused on Ramuh. It is still advised to kill the Grey Arbiter adds as they spawn.
- See also: Levin Weapons
- Ramuh Card (Drops at a fixed rate.)
The Blue Mage spell Shock Strike can be learned here. However, the story-mode version of the fight is a much easier duty to learn it from.
This duty is associated with the following achievements:
|Contempt of Court||10||Defeat Ramuh at the Striking Tree (Extreme).||-||2.3|
|Mightier than Levin||5||Complete the Striking Tree (Extreme) with a party of only blue mages, Silence Echo turned on, and Unrestricted Party turned off.||-||5.15|