Storming the Hull
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Storming the Hull
Denston looks surprised to see you.
— In-game description
Despite the (Hard) in the name, the dungeon is not actually more difficult than any other story-mode dungeon. It is easily completed blind with the Duty Finder.
- Speak with Denston in Moraby Drydocks in Lower La Noscea
- Enter Hullbreaker Isle (Hard).
- Speak with Denston in Limsa Lominsa.
- Denston looks surprised to see you.
- Denston mentions that Eynzahr had been hoping to speak with you on the subject of Hullbreaker Isle, and sends for the off-duty storm marshal before you have a chance to object. Soon after, Eynzahr appears in his civilian attire and proceeds to apprise you of all that has occurred since you salvaged Mistbeard's coffer. In a bid to discourage treasure hunters and put the island's remoteness to use, he petitioned Admiral Merlwyb to reserve Hullbreaker for the training of Maelstrom recruits. However, Eynzahr confides that he thinks the grand company's finest could do with some exercise themselves, and beseeches you to play the role of sparring partner during a coming drill. Join Denston in Moraby Bay when you are ready to set sail.
- With the mists around the Cieldalaes having obligingly parted, Denston deems it safe to set sail for Hullbreaker Isle. Assemble your party while the Maelstrom sees to its final preparations.
- ※Hullbreaker Isle (Hard) can be accessed via the Duty Finder.
- You run the Maelstrom's gauntlet, battling your way through a horde of slavering beasts and, somewhat unexpectedly, pirates. After a bemusing interlude involving the ladies of the Sanguine Sirens and the carnivorous pet of the Kraken's Arms, the drill appears to be brought back on course as you spar with the Maelstrom's elite forces. Having defeated the grand company's finest, you find yourself in the presence of the Admiral, who came to witness the duel with your final opponent─Eynzahr Slafyrsyn himself. Though the storm marshal had originally intended to face you as an officer of the Maelstrom, at Merlwyb's prompting, he dons the mask of the legendary Mistbeard before engaging you in earnest. For all his strength and cunning, however, he is no match for the Warrior of Light, and the drill concludes with your victory. Bear word of the day's events to Denston back in Limsa Lominsa.
- Before Denston can press you for the details of your triumph, Eynzahr appears and assures him that every soul in Limsa will know the tale soon enough. The storm marshal duly compliments you on your performance against beasts, infantrymen, and buccaneers alike. When Denston subsequently expresses puzzlement at the pirates' role in proceedings, Eynzahr explains that they invited themselves in their capacity as the Maelstrom's “Black Sails” unit. Hearing this, the young man teases Eynzahr that he only permitted them to intervene out of curiosity to see if the old sea dogs could still hold their own in a fight. No sooner have the words left his lips than he notices Eynzahr's bruises, and realizes that he too participated. Visibly embarrassed, the storm marshal stiffly thanks you for taking part in the drill and excuses himself, leaving Denston to lament his commanding officer's advancing years. Though it is questionable if losing to you could be considered a sign of infirmity, you cannot help wondering how formidable Eynzahr must have been in his heyday...