- See also: Enmity
Aggression refers to the game mechanics behind attracting creatures towards players or friendly NPCs. In Final Fantasy XIV, a creature's aggression varies in type and rank.
There are two types of aggression behavior in the game:
- Passive: Passive creatures will not aggro on the player or other friendly NPCs, unless that creature is attacked. It's denoted by a light blue icon.
- Aggressive: Aggressive creatures will aggro on the player or other friendly NPCs as soon as they enter a specific aggro radius, or trigger other special conditions. These are denoted by a yellow icon within a red triangle.
Creatures are also categorized by aggression rank. It refers to how strong a certain creature is (relative to its level), and range from rank 1 to 6, each with their own icon.
|1||Regular overworld enemies|
|2||Weak Dungeon enemies|
|3||Regular Dungeon enemies|
Elite Hunt Marks
Strong overworld enemies
|6||Dungeon, Trial, and Raid final bosses|
In the overworld, aggressive creatures will not attack players 11+ levels higher than the creature's level.
Enemies listed as aggressive may aggro to players based on the following conditions. Each enemy has a different aggro type. The most common types are sight and proximity. Other aggro types are less commonly used but become important in areas such as Deep Dungeons and The Forbidden Land, Eureka.
- Sight: Will aggro to players in the enemy's field of vision, which a cone in front of them.
- Proximity: Will aggro if a player moves within a certain distance of the enemy.
- Group: Enemies that are "linked", which will be indicated with semi-transparent curves will all aggro to players if one of the enemies is aggro'd. Most commonly seen in dungeons.
- Sound: Will aggro to players who generate "sound", such as running close to the enemy. This can be prevented by switching to walking. An example of this is the sleeping Frozen Void Dragons in the Forbidden Land, Eureka Pagos.
- Spell/Magic: Will aggro to a player who uses an action classified as a spell near them. Only located in the Forbidden Land, Eureka, particularly for sprites.
- Low Health: Will aggro to a nearby player at low/critical HP. Only located in the Forbidden Land, Eureka, particularly for certain undead enemies.