A Gob in the Machine
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A Gob in the Machine
- Quest giver
- The Dravanian Hinterlands (X:21, Y:18)
- Quest line
- Alexander Quests
- Previous quest
- One Step Behind
- Next quest
- The Coeurl and the Colossus
A Refrain for the Undaunted
Behind his impassive mask, you sense that Backrix is eyeing you and your comrades with no small amount of suspicion.
— In-game description
- Speak with Mide.
- Wait for Cid to arrive.
- Speak with Wedge.
- Speak with Mide at Bigwest Shortstop.
- Behind his impassive mask, you sense that Backrix is eyeing you and your comrades with no small amount of suspicion.
- A plainly exasperated Backrix reiterates that he watched you depart for Midas only moments before your return. Unable to make sense of your version of events, he suggests that you take the matter up with Mide.
- You confer with Mide, Biggs, and Wedge, and learn that the goblin standing guard in front of the primal has corroborated Backrix's claims. After exploring several theories, you have no choice but to consider the possibility that something is odd about the passage of time within the barrier around Alexander. At a loss to know how to proceed, Biggs suggests seeking Cid's opinion, and Wedge duly requests his presence via linkpearl. All that remains is to await the arrival of the Ironworks' finest mind.
- Cid and Y'shtola have scarcely arrived when the ground begins to tremble. Fearing the worst, you rush to gain a better view of Alexander, and Cid witnesses a surprising phenomenon: the flow of aether that had been leaking from the primal reverses, as if time itself had been turned back. For all their combined knowledge, neither Cid nor Y'shtola can offer a credible explanation for this unprecedented event, and they are forced to concede that Alexander may possess a means to manipulate time... Though the implications of this explanation are grim beyond reckoning, none of your companions seem ready to admit defeat just yet. Trouble Wedge for his thoughts on your predicament.
- Wedge informs you that Cid and Y'shtola have returned to Matoya's Cave, and seems optimistic that their combined intellect will succeed in identifying some means to combat the Illuminati. With that, he and Biggs trudge back to the Shortstop, while Mide indicates that there is something she wishes to discuss with you upon your return.
- Back at the Shortstop, Mide expresses bitter regret at the part she played in bringing Alexander to life, and reaffirms her determination to rescue Roundrox. Ahead lies a battle against an enemy of unknowable power, but you must endeavor to prepare yourself all the same, for if you fail, all will pay the price of the Illuminati's twisted utopia.